Country Mourns Another School Shooting

Julia Tellez, Writer

GHS staff and students are remembering victims of yet another school shooting, this time those at Santa Fe High school in Houston.

On Wednesday, May 18, a 17-year-old boy brought a shotgun and a .38 revolver, which he hid under his coat entering the school.

“It’s heartbreaking that stuff like this keeps happening. A lot of us wish we could stop it somehow, but some things we just can’t control with our hands and that’s what really hurts,” senior Esmeralda Contreras said.

The school shooter is named Dimitrios Pagourtzis. He entered an art class at 7:30 a.m. and began his shooting spree. Most of the students tried to run to the back of the class, but the back door was locked. Some students hid in a nearby closet while others urged their classmates to run and get help. Pagourtzis later pulled the fire alarm to lure more students out of their class.

One of the 10 students who passed away was a hero. He saved his friend by shielding her from bullets. Another student that passed away was a foreign exchange student getting ready to go back home to India.

The only warning sign from Pagourtzis was the shirt he wore the day of the shooting that said, “Born to Kill.”

President Trump gave his condolences to the victims in Houston and is now working on a way to protect all schools and to make sure no one harmful get their hands on these weapons.

GHS students share their opinions on gun control.

“Many of us fighting for more gun control are not looking to completely abolish guns. I think miscommunication is the problem between people who have different opinions,” sophomore Van Nguyen said. “Gun law reformation is just to ensure that these guns are not going to the wrong people, who feel the need to go to a school and start shooting. I think we all need to come together and realize the bigger problems than our pride and opinions.”

GHS students have ways to make sure everyone is treated the same so that no one feels left out. The biggest theory right now as to why Pagourtzis did this is that he was bullied.

“We definitely need to show more love. I know that seems too general and too vague. But a lot of the times the people who are responsible for the shooting were not given love. If we could all show someone love once a day we would make a difference,” Contreras said. “Whether it be a smile at someone random or helping them out in the smallest ways; it doesn’t matter. Show people they matter so they can do the same for others.”